This course will provide an overview of key epistemological issues, challenges, and strategies entailed in conducting fieldwork research. Fieldwork methods are employed in many disciplines, including anthropology, sociology, education, and science and technology studies. Readings and discussions will draw on insights from scholars in several of these, but will focus on the study of communication-centered phenomena, broadly defined. In order to learn by doing, students will conduct participant observation research in a field of their choice each week during the quarter, and, by the end of the quarter, will produce an ethnographic account of socio-communicative behavior, sense-making, and/or meaning construction and sharing within that field, whether mediated or face-to-face. This account will be based on the close study of communication in a particular culture or community of practice, through extensive time at the site– observing, talking with culture/community members, taking notes, interviewing, and perhaps co-participating in activities alongside members of the culture. The class will meet once a week in order to allow students greater flexibility in conducting their fieldwork.
- I'll be on CBS News Sunday Morning this week talking with @DavidPogue about Self-Tracking.(9AM ET) https://t.co/HsRy0P1hT9 07:26:49 AM May 21, 2022 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @IagoZuk: Facebook whistleblower @FrancesHaugen today at an event organized by the @MCTDCambridge. She discussed some of the challenges… 07:13:53 AM May 21, 2022 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @IWilkinson0: ‘Tech needs to live in democracy’s house’ - Interesting discussion on mis/disinformation on Meta platforms (and more) with… 06:57:48 PM May 20, 2022 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @lnakamur @MCTDCambridge Well you're the OG. X 11:42:02 AM May 20, 2022 from Twitter for Android in reply to lnakamur ReplyRetweetFavorite
- In two hours! Join us in Cambridge at the Babbage Theatre 5pm @MCTDCambridge https://t.co/7bxr8oV8GY 09:43:54 AM May 20, 2022 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite