This course will provide an overview of key epistemological issues, challenges, and strategies entailed in conducting fieldwork research. Fieldwork methods are employed in many disciplines, including anthropology, sociology, education, and science and technology studies. Readings and discussions will draw on insights from scholars in several of these, but will focus on the study of communication-centered phenomena, broadly defined. In order to learn by doing, students will conduct participant observation research in a field of their choice each week during the quarter, and, by the end of the quarter, will produce an ethnographic account of socio-communicative behavior, sense-making, and/or meaning construction and sharing within that field, whether mediated or face-to-face. This account will be based on the close study of communication in a particular culture or community of practice, through extensive time at the site– observing, talking with culture/community members, taking notes, interviewing, and perhaps co-participating in activities alongside members of the culture. The class will meet once a week in order to allow students greater flexibility in conducting their fieldwork.
- RT @MCTDCambridge: How can we defend human rights in the digital age? Watch this discussion on the power balance and risks between digital… 09:35:58 AM December 05, 2022 from Twitter Web App ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MCTDCambridge: Tomorrow! How can we create practical guides for interdisciplinary + responsible data science? Join us + @DigitalEthno… 07:17:40 AM December 05, 2022 from Twitter Web App ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @digitalgoodnet: We are seeking a highly motivated, professional and organised individual to join the Digital Good Network as a Network… 03:11:22 AM December 04, 2022 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @digitalgoodnet: Are you working in brand + web design/development? We invite tenders for an exciting branding and web development proj… 11:28:08 AM December 02, 2022 from Twitter Web App ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @DanielHall__ https://t.co/xyrFzqqEBi 10:01:24 AM December 02, 2022 from Twitter Web App in reply to DanielHall__ ReplyRetweetFavorite