Home » Posts tagged 'mediation'
Tag Archives: mediation
In this essay, we reconstruct a keyword for communication—affordance. Affordance, adopted from ecological psychology, is now widely used in technology studies, yet the term lacks a clear definition. This is especially problematic for scholars grappling with how to theorize the relationship between technology and sociality for complex socio-technical systems such as machine-learning algorithms, pervasive computing, the Internet of Things, and other such “smart” innovations. Within technology studies, emerging theories of materiality, affect, and mediation all necessitate a richer and more nuanced definition for affordance than the field currently uses. To solve this, we develop the concept of imagined affordance. Imagined affordances emerge between users’ perceptions, attitudes, and expectations; between the materiality and functionality of technologies; and between the intentions and perceptions of designers. We use imagined affordance to evoke the importance of imagination in affordances—expectations for technology that are not fully realized in conscious, rational knowledge. We also use imagined affordance to distinguish our process-oriented, socio-technical definition of affordance from the “imagined” consensus of the field around a flimsier use of the term. We also use it in order to better capture the importance of mediation, materiality, and affect. We suggest that imagined affordance helps to theorize the duality of materiality and communication technology: namely, that people shape their media environments, perceive them, and have agency within them because of imagined affordances.
- Oxford literally now has someone in charge of 'People and GLAM'. Doesn't that make you feel better about higher education? 05:06:51 AM September 19, 2018 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Very good to remember. Writing good peer reviews is an important mentoring skill, too. https://t.co/5DRD0dwv8M 04:11:59 AM September 18, 2018 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @sharmila_mehta: Important issues raised by Prof Neff yesterday @oxfordalumni. Right now, whilst AI technology is being created, is when… 05:27:27 AM September 17, 2018 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Excited for this #MMOxford2018 https://t.co/xiT1eYiPkb 08:41:35 AM September 15, 2018 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Excited to be a part of this! My talk Does AI Have Gender @ 12:30 L3 Maths Bldg. https://t.co/g6CxMJ9OnJ 02:34:31 AM September 15, 2018 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Somewhere in Silicon Valley a VC is wondering why he didn't think of this sooner. https://t.co/kwFTpVonzq 03:52:48 PM September 14, 2018 ReplyRetweetFavorite