Home » Posts tagged 'affect'
Tag Archives: affect
In this essay, we reconstruct a keyword for communication—affordance. Affordance, adopted from ecological psychology, is now widely used in technology studies, yet the term lacks a clear definition. This is especially problematic for scholars grappling with how to theorize the relationship between technology and sociality for complex socio-technical systems such as machine-learning algorithms, pervasive computing, the Internet of Things, and other such “smart” innovations. Within technology studies, emerging theories of materiality, affect, and mediation all necessitate a richer and more nuanced definition for affordance than the field currently uses. To solve this, we develop the concept of imagined affordance. Imagined affordances emerge between users’ perceptions, attitudes, and expectations; between the materiality and functionality of technologies; and between the intentions and perceptions of designers. We use imagined affordance to evoke the importance of imagination in affordances—expectations for technology that are not fully realized in conscious, rational knowledge. We also use imagined affordance to distinguish our process-oriented, socio-technical definition of affordance from the “imagined” consensus of the field around a flimsier use of the term. We also use it in order to better capture the importance of mediation, materiality, and affect. We suggest that imagined affordance helps to theorize the duality of materiality and communication technology: namely, that people shape their media environments, perceive them, and have agency within them because of imagined affordances.
- @lnakamur And walls. There is always room on the walls. 08:37:32 AM September 20, 2021 from Twitter Web App in reply to lnakamur ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @lnakamur My gardening style is eclectic English granny cottage. 08:37:06 AM September 20, 2021 from Twitter Web App in reply to lnakamur ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Timeline break? Cobea scandens growing on my garden wall. https://t.co/glYOh6xypB 07:44:24 AM September 20, 2021 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @ftripodi I share your anger. Wishing you and yours speedy and full recovery 02:11:56 PM September 19, 2021 from Twitter for Android in reply to ftripodi ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @lnakamur (And something something cement pour with new stone on top) 02:08:51 PM September 19, 2021 from Twitter for Android in reply to lnakamur ReplyRetweetFavorite