I propose to complete a book manuscript on the future of work based on over a decade of qualitative research on data-driven transformation in the construction industry. Contrary to received wisdom, my research shows that when faced with new categories of data in their jobs, front-line ‘data workers innovated to incorporate new data into the existing social structures of their workplaces. The data, funded by US NSF, includes 350 interviews and 8 years of participant-observation in 3 teams work who designed and built a hospital, a major research laboratory, and a 40-storey high-rise building. I have co-authored 28 journal and conference publications based on this research to date. For this project, I will complete a book manuscript in the sociology of technology that focuses the experience of digital transformation for workers in construction and the lessons that their experience holds for others in the era of AI and big data.
British Academy Award for “Data Work” Project
- RT @MCTDCambridge: How can we defend human rights in the digital age? Watch this discussion on the power balance and risks between digital… 09:35:58 AM December 05, 2022 from Twitter Web App ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MCTDCambridge: Tomorrow! How can we create practical guides for interdisciplinary + responsible data science? Join us + @DigitalEthno… 07:17:40 AM December 05, 2022 from Twitter Web App ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @digitalgoodnet: We are seeking a highly motivated, professional and organised individual to join the Digital Good Network as a Network… 03:11:22 AM December 04, 2022 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @digitalgoodnet: Are you working in brand + web design/development? We invite tenders for an exciting branding and web development proj… 11:28:08 AM December 02, 2022 from Twitter Web App ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @DanielHall__ https://t.co/xyrFzqqEBi 10:01:24 AM December 02, 2022 from Twitter Web App in reply to DanielHall__ ReplyRetweetFavorite