I propose to complete a book manuscript on the future of work based on over a decade of qualitative research on data-driven transformation in the construction industry. Contrary to received wisdom, my research shows that when faced with new categories of data in their jobs, front-line ‘data workers innovated to incorporate new data into the existing social structures of their workplaces. The data, funded by US NSF, includes 350 interviews and 8 years of participant-observation in 3 teams work who designed and built a hospital, a major research laboratory, and a 40-storey high-rise building. I have co-authored 28 journal and conference publications based on this research to date. For this project, I will complete a book manuscript in the sociology of technology that focuses the experience of digital transformation for workers in construction and the lessons that their experience holds for others in the era of AI and big data.
British Academy Award for “Data Work” Project
- RT @juliapowles: .@futuresays_ to AI ethics: "Bust it wide open!" We urgently need better stories and better ideas. We need theatre, we ne… 02:12:22 PM August 13, 2020 from Twitter Web App ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @oiioxford: Check out new report: AI@Work, looking at the role of AI in the workplace co-authored by @oiioxford @ginasue @maggieselfie @… 02:00:14 PM August 13, 2020 from Twitter Web App ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @andrew4mk @futuresays_ but cheers to my incredible team @maggieselfie & @NayanaPrakash1 01:27:20 PM August 13, 2020 from Twitter Web App in reply to andrew4mk ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @andrew4mk @futuresays_ https://t.co/pBIBzdX8vG 01:26:47 PM August 13, 2020 from Twitter Web App in reply to andrew4mk ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Cheer for my amazing team of rockstar co-authors @maggieselfie and @NayanaPrakash1 https://t.co/Ajy99LsZTH 01:14:40 PM August 13, 2020 from Twitter Web App in reply to ginasue ReplyRetweetFavorite